Satliva is a unique natural brand whose entire range is formulated with Hemp as the main ingredient. It is one of the very few brands that checked all the right boxes in the recent times in terms of quality, efficiency, ingredients, eco consciousness & ethics. Satliva claims that their entire range is 100% synthetic/chemical free and it seems believable. Hence, Satliva is definitely a worthy find.
Sunscreen is the most essential part of skincare but is also the most underestimated. It is important to understand the difference between a physical & chemical sunscreen to make a conscious safe choice. Read my blog about the same here . When it comes to safer sunscreen options, mineral sunscreens seem to be widely available and are mostly the go to ones. Satliva has come up with a unique sunscreen which is neither chemical nor mineral based but is formulated capitalising the sun protection factors of natural oils. Read on to know more about the same.
Packaging: The cream comes in a sturdy steel tub container which is easy to use. The choice of the container’s style & label design give it a classy look. Kudos to ecofriendly packaging. It is leak proof and travel friendly.
Color & Texture: It is a light yellowish coloured rich fluffy cream. Depending on the climate, the consistency may vary from the cream slightly melting to staying thick but irrespective of how the same is, it gets absorbed by the skin easily.
Aroma: It has a rich herbal fragrance with pleasant fruity undertones. I love indulging in such authentic natural fragrances.
Hemp seed oil:
- The hemp seed oil has a SPF rating of 6.
- Contains all 21 amino acids and one of the highest Omega 6 and 3 essential fatty acids which are key components for maintaining healthy skin
- The Linoleic and alpa-Linolenic acids deliver potent antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties for treatment of acne, dermatitis and other skin inflammatory conditions etc
- Studies indicate that hemp seed oil can dramatically decrease skin dryness to alleviate itching and irritation
- Helps to improve water resistance by protecting the skin from reverse osmosis effects of water which causes skin to lose its nutrients.
- Has anti-aging effects on skin by improving the composition of epidural lipids (fats in the outermost skin layer) and improve the overall functioning of skin.
Red Raspberry Seed Oil:
- This oil is loaded with essential fatty acids that nourishes skin and an SPF of 28-50(depends on the quality of the oil)
- Anti-inflammatory due to high content of alpha linolenic acid (the highest in any fruit seed oil) and phytosterols, therefore helpful for eczema and psoriasis.
- Anti-aging benefits due to content of ellegic acid (an antioxidant).
- Very high in Vitamin E – an antioxidant, hence prevents premature skin aging and skin cancer.
- Very high levels of phytosterols that can help reduce trans-epidermal water loss, thereby helping to keep skin moisturized.
- Phytosterols also help to repair skin damaged by environmental factors including sun damage.
Carrot seed oil:
- This oil is said to have antiseptic properties and an SPF of 38-40.
- Carrot seed oil has a large amount vitamin E, which is great for adding and retaining moisture in the skin.
- There’s also vitamin C in the oil which is highly protective against any environmental factors
- As carrot seed oil is incredibly high in antioxidants, it’s perfect for anti-ageing purposes.
Mango Butter: This forms the base of the cream.
- Since mango butter is a natural source of vitamin A, it helps reduce the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles.
- Treats dry skin, patches, flakiness by deeply moisturizing
- Treat skin conditions like acne, eczema & psoriasis
- Prevents stretch markers and heals minor scars, wounds & bug bites
Apart from the above main ingredients, it also has the following…
Geranium essential oil: This oil’s natural astringency helps to tighten the skin, regulate sebum and improve the look of pores.
Jojoba oil: It acts as a natural moisturizer for the skin and has a SPF rating of 4.
Tea tree oil: In a sunscreen tea tree oil is said to block the UV rays from penetrating the skin.
Satliva Red Raspberry cream is a preservative free formulation.
Since the base of the Satliva Red Raspberry cream is mango butter, which by itself is an effective skincare ingredient rich in Vitamin C, I would say this is a rich undiluted cream. Hence, little goes a long way and as directed, I apply sparsely. The cream looks waxy but on application it spreads well and gets easily absorbed. It settles to give a close to oily finish. However, face feels a bit dull & sticky whenever touched. Following up with a setting powder will help. This 20g should last for atleast 2 months when used once a day for face, neck & back neck. On the contrary, if generous amount is applied, it sure becomes oily, very sticky and uncomfortable.
When it comes to choosing sunscreens, it is also important to check if it gives a broad spectrum coverage(UVA+UVB). SPF stands for the capacity of managing the UV B rays. As per the studies conducted & mentioned by sciencedirect.com, Red raspberry oil is said to have an spf range of 28-50 depending on the quantity & quality used and showed absorbance in the UV-B and UV-C ranges with potential for use as a broad spectrum UV protectant. So, as a sunscreen, Satliva Red Raspberry cream’s exact spf factor depends on the proportion and quality of the oils used. An spf of 30+ is guaranteed is my understanding based on my chat with the brand with the combined spf of red raspberry oil, carrot seed oil, etc. I mostly stay indoors and this will suffice my needs. Hence, UVB part is sorted. Regarding UVA, as mentioned above, it is claimed to have the potential to fulfill the broad spectrum criteria but the same has not been proved which leaves me sceptical about the same.
Apart from that, the best part that differentiates an usual sunscreen and Satliva Red raspberry cream is the highly beneficial ingredients. Having an oily acne prone skin, I expected this heavy cream to break me out but instead I found it heal my existing eruptions and curbing further breakouts. Thanks to the star ingredient – red raspberry oil which is said to be excellent in treating acne, eczema and psoriasis. I have been religiously using it for over a month now and found improvement in blemishes, minor scars and skin plumping to an extent. Such formulation is rare, especially in the sunscreen category because this is much more than a sunscreen that helps in moisturising, nourishing, anti aging, pores tightening, radiance and many more. This seems to be a versatile cream that replaces several other products in one go namely the moisturiser, treatment cream and sunscreen.
- Highly beneficial ingredients
- Heals acne & blemishes
- Plumps skin
- Multipurpose – moisturiser, treatment & sun protection
- No preservatives
- No synthetic chemicals
- No undesirable emulsifiers or bases, hence rich & unadulterated
- Ecofriendly packaging
- Travel friendly packaging
- sticky when touched
- broad spectrum coverage potential is claimed but not proved
Naturoid’s Verdict: Satliva Red Raspberry face cream is a rich multipurpose formulation that also works as a treatment cream & moisturiser along with sun protection.
Buy this product on www.satliva.com
Note: Product was sent for review and I have recorded my honest observations post usage.