*Products were sent for review and below are my honest observations post usage.
‘Superfood’ has become a buzzword today and we are obsessed with the same. Foods with superior nutritional value, usually whole foods are called superfood that are highly beneficial for health & wellbeing. They are rich in trace minerals and other nutritions like vitamins, fibers and phytochemicals.
Sorich Organics is an authentic food brand that I came to know in the recent times. There are very few food brands that seem to be safe & trustworthy. I was convinced with their positioning and claims and decided to give it a shot. It deals in natural, organic & in-conversion organic products. They ensure that their herbs, spices, nuts, seeds and all other superfoods are grown naturally and processed without any preservative in an ethical and sustainable manner to deliver high quality & long-lasting shelf life. To ensure that they are the best in quality and tastes great, they claim to source the highest quality Indian herbs and spices directly from the most efficient growers and farms. They make sure to maintain the freshness, delicate aromas, flavors, and authenticity that contribute to the goodness of an authentic natural product. I recently got to try a few superfoods from their range namely cocoa nibs, cranberries, pumpkin seeds & cinnamon. Following is my take on the same.
Packaging: Cocoa nibs, cranberries & pumpkin seeds come in a thick ziplock paper cover whereas the cinnamon powder comes in a small thick glass bottle with a sturdy plastic lid that has to dispensing provisions, to sprinkle and take larger quantity.
Cocoa nibs – Smells like fresh dark chocolate that is absolutely destressing and reminded me of the chocolate factories in hillstations.
Cranberries – Has a feel good sweet fruity aroma.
Pumpkin Seeds – Smells subtle & nutty.
Cinnamon – smells pungently sweet.
Texture & Color:
Cocoa nib – small dark brown grains/bits of dried cocoa
Cranberries – dark pinkish maroon dried fruits
Pumpkin Seeds – light green crispy full seeds that are almost flat & oval.
Cinnamon – not so finely ground reddish brown powder
Cocoa nibs – a deep flavour that tastes strong, nutty & bitter like dark chocolate
Cranberries – pungent yet sweet & desirable
Pumpkin Seeds – Nutty with a hint of sweetness.
Cinnamon – sweet pungent aromatic taste
Cocoa nibs –
- Rich in antioxidants that help fight off free radical damage in the body which can cause DNA damage, premature aging and even cancers
- Contains Flavonoids that are naturally occurring plant pigments which help in reducing risk of cancer, heart disease, asthma, and stroke. They may play a special role in protecting the brain.
- Rich in Fiber that can help control blood pressure and blood glucose levels. This fiber can also help lower blood cholesterol as well as helping keep bowel movements regular.
- Contains Magnesium that is recognized as a very key element for the body in protein synthesis, muscle and nerve function, blood glucose control & blood pressure regulation
- Potassium that is key for heart, kidneys and other organs to function properly.
- They help stimulate the brain into releasing neurotransmitters like phenyethylamine, that can trigger feel good hormones like endorphins, giving us alertness, contentment and a better sense of well-being.
- Contains anthocyanidins that bacteria from attaching to the walls of the urinary tract hence preventing UTI(urinary tract infection).
- Has phenolic acids that help reduce the risk of heart disease, lower blood pressure and act as an anti-inflammatory agent. They also help lower triglycerides, glucose levels, and insulin resistance.
- Has phytochemical components that help lower blood glucose and lipid levels in individuals with type 2 diabetes. They also cause cell death in prostate cancerous cells & thus help prevent prostate cancer
- Rich in Vitamin C & antioxidants that makes one less susceptible to the flu virus and the common cold. The Proanthocyanidins in them have antioxidant properties neutralize the free radicals known to cause cell damage and clogged arteries, helps reduces wrinkles and promotes hair growth.
- Guards against tooth decay and helps reduce the buildup of plaque and tartar and suppresses bacteria which cause stomach ulcers.
Pumpkin Seeds –
- Contains antioxidants like carotenoids and vitamin E, that can reduce inflammation, protect cells from harmful free radicals and are partly responsible for their positive effects on health.
- Rich in magnesium, which has many vitally important physiological functions, including the creation of ATP(energy molecules of your body), the synthesis of RNA and DNA, the pumping of heart, proper bone and tooth formation, relaxation of blood vessels and proper bowel function. It also benefits blood pressure and help prevent sudden cardiac arrest, heart attack, and stroke.
- Rich in Zinc which is important to body in many ways, including immunity, cell growth and division, sleep, mood, your senses of taste and smell, eye and skin health, insulin regulation and male sexual function.
- Contains essential fatty acids namely omega-3s and omega-6s, that our bodies need but cannot manufacture themselves. The omega-6 or linoleic acid helps prevent skin from drying out and sun damage. Pumpkin seeds, thus, show potential in stalling the process of aging. Also, they have phytosterols, the equivalent of human cholesterol in plant cell membranes, inhibits the enzyme 5α-reductase in hair follicles hence controlling hair loss.
- The compounds trigonelline, nicotinic acid, and D-chiro-inositol in pumpkin seeds may be responsible for its glycemic control. Pumpkin seeds can be used to keep blood sugar levels in check in diabetics.
- Contains Serotonin, a neurochemical, which is also known as nature’s sleeping pill. Pumpkin seeds are high in Tryptophan, an amino acid that further converts into Serotonin in the body, ensuring a sound night’s sleep. A handful of these seeds before going to bed will help you sleep away to glory.
- Loaded with Antioxidants & protects the body from oxidative damage caused by free radicals.
- The cinnamaldehyde in its bark improves lipid metabolism. This helps you fight not just metabolic disorders but also inflammation-induced obesity. The flavonoids help body fight infections and repair tissue damage.
- It is a wonder spice of sorts for diabetics, helping on multiple fronts. It can moderate blood sugar levels, reduce insulin resistance and help ease diabetes-related problems like hyperlipidemia
- The cinnamaldehyde in the spice causes blood vessels to dilate, which in turn helps lower your blood pressure, lowers Cholesterol And Has Cardiovascular Benefits
- The antimicrobial properties of cinnamon can be tapped to overcome infections. True cinnamon, in particular, has medicinal benefits owing to its antiparasitic, antibacterial, and antiviral activity.
- Eases PCOS Symptoms, Menstrual Cramps and Heavy Menstrual Bleeding
There are many more immense health benefits.
Ingredients analysis: All Sorich organics products are claimed to be free of any additives, colors & preservatives. With the taste and experience, it seems believable to an extent and hence there seems to be no concern with the ingredients list.
I eat them raw or as a part of addons to smoothies, desserts, salads, soups and custards. As they come in zip lock covers, they are easy to store, travel and use. However, I prefer to transfer them to airtight containers based on my usage & storage preference.
Also, the most important part is to take the right amount everyday consistently to achieve fullest benefits depending on ones needs & body conditions. Excess or lesser intake is not adviceable and may be lead to undesirable effects.
Sorich Organics superfoods range tastes pure & strong with appropriate texture, color & aroma, that reflect their authenticity. They give a lovely flavour when added to the recipe. The health benefits can be achieved only with prolonged usage and hence can’t comment on them. However most of them are scientifically proven ones and hence promising.
It is critical to understand that these are not miracle foods that can solely help in achieving a perfect health or fix skin, weight loss issues as misunderstood by many. They sure help in the process but can never compensate for an unhealthy diet and the right approach is always about striking a balance!
- Tastes authentic
- No additives & preservatives
- Strong original flavour & aroma
- Immense health benefits
- Great skin & hair benefits
- Value for money
- Ecofriendly packaging
- Frequently goes out of stock
- The nibs are cocoa and not cacao
My Verdict: Superfoods are amazing, no doubt but the only thing to be taken care of, when choosing them is, if they are authentic, pure and safe without additives which is a major issue today. Sorich organic seems like one. Wish they turn 100% organic soon.
Buy this from Amazon.com